If you run a courier business either as an individual or as a larger concern you will need to ensure that you have appropriate insurance cover for the contents of your vehicle in the event of an accident, theft or fire, as well as coverage for your vehicle to be used commercially as a courier. There are several insurance providers that cover couriers as part of their commercial vehicle policies or as specialist courier insurance as we have found below.
The table below gives a quick comparison of the top UK providers for courier insurance.
|Company||Minimum cover||Maximum cover|
|AIG||Not stated||Not stated|
|RSA||Not stated||£10 million|
|AXA||Not stated||Not stated|
|Ageas||Not stated||Not stated|
|Admiral||Not stated||Not stated|
* The facts and figures included here come from each company’s website and were accurate at the time of writing (February 2020) but may have since changed. Also, please keep in mind these may not be apples to apples comparisons as each provider offers different solutions. This guide should be used as a starting off point for more research on your part.
Below we profile each of the companies’ services and features in a bit more detail.
Note companies are ranked in no particular order and this no way indicates one solution is better than another.
Some of the features and benefits of AIG’s courier insurance.
- Transport industry group insurance
- Tailored cover
- Covers couriers, logistics, postal and fleet operators
- They collaborate and innovate to create current and effective policy
- Liability cover
- Financial Lines
- Accident and health cover
- Motor, casualty, cyber, kidnap and ransom
- Modelling and analytics capability such as telematics and weather forecasting
- Maximise business continuity
AIG is an insurance provider that offers a variety of business insurance products as either standalone products or combined products that are tailored towards specific industries or professions. Their range includes a variety of commercial vehicle cover including fleet insurance and transport industry group insurance.
AIG’s transport industry group insurance is a tailored policy that is designed specifically for couriers, logistics companies, postal services, fleet operators, airlines, airports and marine ports. They monitor the market and collaborate to ensure their policies cover all emerging risks. You can choose your cover which can include liability, financial lines, accident and health, motor, casualty, cyber, kidnap and ransom.
Some of the features and benefits of RSA’s courier insurance.
- Haulage eSolutions
- Designed for small road haulage operations
- Includes couriers
- Covers liability for loss or damage to goods in your care
- Liability under RHA conditions and CMR
- Full responsibility where contract conditions are not used
- Can include public liability and employer’s liability
- Can extend to cover trailers and cargo entrusted to subcontractors
- Quick and simple to get quotes and cover
- Available online via RSA Online
RSA is an insurance provider that offers a variety of business insurance products which includes a range of commercial vehicle products including fleet insurance and Haulage eSolutions. Their Haulage eSolutions is designed specifically for small road haulage operations including those with up to 10 vehicles, couriers and cargo carriers.
RSA’s Haulage eSolutions gives businesses liability coverage for loss or damage to goods in your care and offers cover to meet contract conditions including liability under RHA conditions, CMR and full responsibility where contract conditions are not used. You can extend the cover to include public and employer’s liability, trailers and cargo entrusted to subcontractors.
Some of the features and benefits of AXA’s courier insurance.
- Specific courier van insurance
- Covers haulage, delivery and courier services
- Offers comprehensive van cover
- Guaranteed courtesy van
- Access to nationwide repair network
- Repairs guarantees
- Personal belongings
- Uninsured driver promise
- Cover for built-in music, navigation and entertainment equipment
- Offers a range of optional extras
AXA is an insurance provider that offers a variety of business insurance products that include a range of liability, van and health products. Their van insurance products include personal van cover and courier van insurance which is designed for those that carry other people’s goods or materials.
AXA’s courier van insurance covers a variety of businesses including couriers, furniture removers, delivery drivers and leaflet distributors. Their cover offers comprehensive cover which includes guaranteed courtesy van, access to their nationwide repair network, guarantee on all repairs, personal belongings cover, uninsured driver promise to not lose your NCD or pay any excess, and cover for built-in music, navigation and entertainment equipment.
Some of the features and benefits of Ageas’ courier insurance.
- Fleet insurance
- Suitable for businesses that deliver goods
- Available to businesses with over 3 vehicles
- Small to large fleet coverage
- Tailored insurance
- Can be used for private or commercial vehicles
- Cover includes accident and theft
- Windscreen cover
- Aims to get your vehicles back on the road swiftly
- Only available through a broker
Ageas is an insurance provider that offers a range of business insurance products which includes a range of standalone generic products as well as combined packages for specific trades and professions. Their products are only available through a broker and these include fleet insurance which is designed to cater for a wide variety of businesses including those that deliver goods.
Ageas’ fleet insurance is suitable for small to large fleets, but you need to have a minimum of 3 vehicles in the fleet. They offer tailored cover to meet your needs which includes coverage for private and commercial vehicles for accident and theft as well as windscreen cover.
Some of the features and benefits of Admiral’s courier insurance.
- Commercial van insurance
- Includes haulage which covers couriers and furniture removers
- Flexible policy
- Choice of the level of cover
- Covers vans up to 3.5 tonnes
- Courtesy van
- European cover
- Personal belongings, sat-nav and stereo cover
- Windscreen repair
- Personal injury cover
Admiral is an insurance provider that offers a variety of insurance products which includes business insurance for vehicles like commercial van insurance which includes cover for vans up to 3.5 tonnes suitable for couriers and furniture removers.
Admiral’s commercial van insurance is a flexible policy which offers a choice of comprehensive, third-party fire and theft, and third-party only. Their cover includes courtesy vans, European cover, personal belongings, personal injury cover of £5,000, sat-nav and stereo cover as standard. They also offer optional extras like hire vehicle, personal injury extension, motor legal protection, breakdown, and goods and tools.