If you transport horses either for your own personal use or for your business, you will need to have suitable insurance cover for your horsebox or trailer. In most cases you will need specialist equine motor cover, so we have explored the market to see what products are available below.
The table below gives a quick comparison of the top UK providers for horsebox insurance.
|Company||Minimum cover||Maximum cover|
|NFU Mutual||Not stated||£5 million|
|Towergate Insurance||Not stated||£20,000|
|Shearwater Insurance||Not stated||Not stated|
* The facts and figures included here come from each company’s website and were accurate at the time of writing (February 2020) but may have since changed. Also, please keep in mind these may not be apples to apples comparisons as each provider offers different solutions. This guide should be used as a starting off point for more research on your part.
Below we profile each of the companies’ services and features in a bit more detail.
Note companies are ranked in no particular order and this no way indicates one solution is better than another.
1. NFU Mutual
Some of the features and benefits of NFU Mutual’s horsebox insurance.
- Dedicated horsebox insurance
- Comprehensive cover
- Accident, fire and theft cover
- Legal liability
- Covers any trailer attached to your vehicle
- Audio and visual equipment
- Windscreen cover
- Motor legal protection
- Option to include breakdown cover
- 24-hour helpline
NFU Mutual is an insurance provider that is run for the benefit of its members and they offer a variety of business, home, motor and equine insurance products. Their equine insurance range includes horsebox insurance.
NFU Mutual’s horsebox insurance provides comprehensive cover for specified trailers attached or detached from your vehicle and any trailer attached to your vehicle. Cover includes accident, fire and theft cover, as well as legal liability cover up to £5 million, audio and visual equipment, windscreen cover and motor legal protection. You can also add breakdown cover for the UK and Europe which will provide onward transportation or overnight accommodation for you and your horse/s.
2. Towergate Insurance
Some of the features and benefits of Towergate Insurance’s horsebox insurance.
- Specialist horsebox insurance and horse trailer insurance
- Offers basic to comprehensive cover
- Limited mileage discounts
- Includes any factory-fitted accessories
- Covers drivers from 17 years old
- Theft and malicious damage cover
- Security arrangements may be necessary when not in use
- Doesn’t cover your horses in transit
- Option to include European cover
- Can add no claims bonus and windscreen cover
Towergate Insurance offers a variety of specialist insurance products that are created to meet the needs of specific businesses or professions. They have a range of equine insurance products that include horse insurance, horsebox cover, horse trailer insurance and horsebox breakdown cover.
Towergate Insurance’s horsebox insurance offers basic to comprehensive cover with limited mileage discounts and they will cover drivers from the age of 17, with cover for theft and malicious damage. Their horse trailer insurance covers trailers up to £20,000 for theft, accidental and malicious damage as well as trailer hire. Both include factory fitted accessories, option to add breakdown, but don’t cover horses in transit.
3. Shearwater Insurance
Some of the features and benefits of Shearwater Insurance’s horsebox insurance.
- Expert horsebox insurance
- Social, domestic and pleasure cover
- Hire and reward or business use
- Includes HGV horseboxes
- Covers any drivers over 25 years old
- Flexible payment options
- Option to add breakdown cover
- Mirrored no claims bonus available
- Legal expenses
- Offers instant quotes and can be purchased online
Shearwater Insurance is an insurance provider that offers a range of specialist insurance products that includes household, commercial, motor and equine insurance. Their equine insurance range includes horse and rider, transport and travel, yard and stable, and professional and business insurance.
Shearwater Insurance’s horsebox insurance covers social, domestic and pleasure cover that can also include hire and reward or business use cover. They cover a variety of horseboxes which includes HGV horseboxes and they provide insurance for younger drivers over 25 years old. They also offer horse transporter and trailer insurance as well as horsebox breakdown cover which can be added to your cover.