Looking after your employees’ health and wellbeing is important as it helps them to feel valued and through private health insurance, they may be able to return to work quicker which will reduce absences and increase productivity. There is a range of small business health insurance providers which we have explored below.
The table below gives a quick price comparison of the top UK providers for small business health insurance/group private medical insurance.
Company Minimum cover Maximum cover
Aviva Not stated Not stated
AXA Not stated Not stated
Bupa Not stated Not stated
Cigna Not stated Not stated
Freedom Health Not stated Not stated
Vitality Not stated Not stated
WPA Not stated Not stated
* The facts and figures included here come from each company’s website and were accurate at the time of writing (May 2022) but may have since changed. Also, please keep in mind these may not be apples to apples comparisons as each provider offers different solutions. This guide should be used as a starting off point for more research on your part.
Below we profile each of the companies services and features in a bit more detail.
Note companies are ranked in no particular order and this no way indicates one solution is better than another.
Some of the features and benefits of Aviva’s health insurance/group private medical insurance.
- Flexible healthcare options
- Provides ongoing support to employees
- Offers free cover for the first month
- Finds the most suitable specialist and hospital for employee’s condition
- Provides a choice of four or five treatment providers
- Enhanced cancer cover
- Mental health support and treatment
- Treatment for back, neck, muscle and joint pain
- Offers a range of optional extras
- Can reduce cover to make it more affordable
Aviva provides a variety of insurance, investment, retirement and health products including private medical insurance. They offer two types of cover for up to 249 or over 250 employees. They offer flexible medical insurance that can be adapted with a range of optional extras and ways to decrease the cover that will lower premiums.
Aviva’s cover includes acute conditions, extensive cancer cover, hospital charges and specialist fees, treatments for back/neck/muscle/joint pain and mental health treatment. They will search for the most suitable specialist and hospital for the condition and provide a choice of four to five options to choose between, all costs are covered if selected from their choices.
Some of the features and benefits of AXA’s health insurance/group private medical insurance.
- Healthcare cover for one to 249 employees
- Flexible plans with a choice of cover
- Attractive employee benefit
- Speedy access to diagnosis and treatment to reduce time off
- Flexible treatment appointments
- Health information phone line 24/7
- 24/7 online GP service and 20 minute GP phone or online appointments
- Access to physio
- Nurse support for cancer and heart conditions
- Rewards including 50% off gym membership
AXA is an insurance provider that offers a range of products for small businesses which includes health insurance. They provide cover for employers with one to 249 employees with a flexible choice of plan options. It provides an attractive employee benefit and can help employees return to work more quickly with speedy access to diagnosis and treatment.
AXA provides customers with flexible treatment appointments, Health at Hand 24/7 health information phone line, 24/7 online GP service which can offer 20-minute GP phone or online appointments, access to physio and nurse support for cancer and heart conditions. It can also offer rewards like 50% off annual PureGym membership.
Some of the features and benefits of Bupa’s health insurance/group private medical insurance.
- Private healthcare insurance for businesses with less than 250 employees
- Covers costs from diagnosis to treatment
- Three levels of cover available
- Valuable employee benefit
- Can reduce absence and boost productivity
- Includes extensive mental health cover
- Access up to 600 hospitals
- Digital GP app and GP appointments
- Cancer cover as standard
- 24/7 access to a qualified nurse
Bupa is a well-known private medical provider that also offers health cover for businesses. They offer private healthcare insurance for businesses with less than 250 employees with three levels of cover options. This valuable employee benefit can help reduce absence and boost productivity by looking after your employee’s physical and mental wellbeing.
Bupa’s cover includes access to up to 600 hospitals, eligible out-patient consultations and treatment, eligible musculoskeletal conditions (muscles, bones and joints), cancer cover as standard, and mental health cover. It also includes Bupa Anytime Healthline providing 24/7 access to a qualified nurse. Bupa Digital GP app providing unlimited GP appointments 24/7 and a symptom checker.
Some of the features and benefits of Cigna’s health insurance/group private medical insurance.
- Offers a range of company health insurance and dental plans
- Can cover physical, mental and dental health
- Can reduce absences
- Improve employee wellness and productivity
- Nurse-led support for referral and co-ordination
- Choice of plans including budget plan
- Tailorable plans
- Can cover cancer, mental health and cardiac problems
- Valuable employee benefit to support recruitment and retention
- Offers one month free for SME clients
Cigna is a specialist business health insurance provider including dental plans. Their plans are designed to help reduce absences and can improve employee wellness and productivity. They offer a choice of four health plans.
Cigna’s Health Flex plan is flexible, holistic and digital including Employee Assistance Programme for 2-99 employees. Company Health plan is a comprehensive and tailorable plan for over 100 employees that covers cancer, mental health and cardiac conditions. Essential Health plan provides affordable cover for most frequent causes of ill health including mental health and musculoskeletal problems. Your Health is a budget plan for over 100 employees providing access to private hospitals and consultants for diagnosis and treatment.
5. Freedom Health
Some of the features and benefits of Freedom Health’s health insurance/group private medical insurance.
- Tailored health insurance plans with plans for SMEs
- Can reduce absence and keep employees healthy
- Valuable employee benefit that can aid recruitment and retention
- Includes inpatient and day-patient treatment
- Choice of hospital and consultant
- Accommodation in private hospitals
- Outpatient treatment including specialists, diagnostic tests and physiotherapy
- Comprehensive cancer cover
- Cash benefit for using the NHS
- Offers a price match
Freedom Health is a specialist private medical insurance provider that offers plans for individuals and businesses. They offer plans for SMEs, self-employed and corporates that provide tailored health insurance that is flexible and affordable. They offer an insurance premium match service and they claim to not generally increase your premiums after making a claim.
Freedom Health’s SME health insurance offers cover which includes inpatient and day-patient treatment and outpatient treatment including specialists, diagnostic tests and physiotherapy. It includes hospital accommodation in private hospital rooms, a choice of hospitals and consultants. It also includes comprehensive cancer cover. You will also receive a cash benefit for using the NHS.
Some of the features and benefits of Vitality’s health insurance/group private medical insurance.
- Provides business medical insurance for SMEs with 2-249 employees
- Offers benefits to those that live healthily
- Primary care through online doctor appointments
- Cancer treatment
- Mental health cover
- Hospital care for eligible treatment including consultants, diagnostics and scans
- Access to care through digital tools
- Physiotherapy and cognitive behavioural therapy
- Care Hub for employees to manage their appointments and referrals
- Employers Hub to manage your scheme
Vitality provides a range of health and life insurance, investment and the Vitality Programme which helps wellness and long-term health. They offer small business health insurance for those with two to 249 employees and corporate health insurance for those with over 100 employees.
Vitality’s small business health insurance provides access to primary care which includes their virtual GP with online doctor appointments and contribution to private prescriptions and minor tests. Hospital care for eligible treatments including consultant fees, diagnostic tests and scans if admitted to hospital. Cancer treatment and support including radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Mental health support with up to eight therapy and counselling sessions.
Some of the features and benefits of WPA’s health insurance/group private medical insurance.
- Provides a choice of four health insurance products
- Tailored and bespoke plans available
- Supports the health and wellbeing of your workforce
- Option to include dental
- Choice of where, when and who provides their treatment
- 24/7 remote GP services
- NHS top-up plan options
- Online administration
- Specialist clinical team
- Dedicated helpdesk
WPA is a not-for-profit private healthcare organisation offering cover to individuals and businesses. They offer plans to SMEs with over two employees and large companies with over 250 employees. They offer four SME plans that include their app where you can access 24/7 remote GP, services make and track claims.
WPA’s Enterprise Flexible Benefits is for over two employees is tailored to your needs. Enterprise Health is a bespoke scheme for over 10 employees where each employee can have their own options. Precisions Corporate Healthcare is for over 30 employees combines private medical insurance with cash and dental plans. NHS Top-Up is an affordable plan for over three employees.