As a taxi driver or taxi company, you will want to protect your vehicles and any liabilities that they have from being on the road day in day out. As your vehicle/s are the lifeblood of your business you will want them to protect them and get them back on the road as quickly as possible if the worst should happen. Below we have explored what is available from a variety of insurance providers for taxi businesses.
The table below gives a quick comparison of the top UK providers for taxi insurance.
|Company||Minimum cover||Maximum cover|
|Aviva||Not stated||£20 million|
|ACE||Not stated||Not stated|
|Kerry London||Not stated||Not stated|
|Acorn Insurance||Not stated||Not stated|
|DNA Insurance||Not stated||£10 million|
* The facts and figures included here come from each company’s website and were accurate at the time of writing (February 2020) but may have since changed. Also, please keep in mind these may not be apples to apples comparisons as each provider offers different solutions. This guide should be used as a starting off point for more research on your part.
Below we profile each of the companies’ services and features in a bit more detail.
Note companies are ranked in no particular order and this no way indicates one solution is better than another.
Some of the features and benefits of Aviva’s taxi insurance.
- Cover for businesses with up to 4 vehicles
- Includes most vehicles used for hire and reward excluding coaches
- Choice of fully comprehensive, third party fire and theft, and third party only
- Third-party property damage up to £20 million
- Chauffeur-driven limousines
- Legal services and advice
- Fleets of taxis over 5 can also use their Fleetwise product
Aviva is a business insurance provider that offers a wide range of business insurance products that are designed for small to medium-sized businesses. They provide cover for categories like property, liability and vehicles such as fleet insurance and commercial vehicles like taxis.
Aviva’s taxi insurance is designed for businesses with up to 4 vehicles and their fleet insurance can offer cover for those with 5 or more vehicles. Their cover offers the choice of fully comprehensive, third party fire and theft, or third party only. They cover vehicles that are used to carry passengers for hire and reward such as private hire taxis, minicabs, minibuses, chauffeur-driven limousines and hearses.
Some of the features and benefits of ACE’s taxi insurance.
- Tailored insurance policies for taxi drivers
- Choice of comprehensive, third party fire and theft, and third party only
- Offers a personal service
- Public hire insurance
- Private hire insurance
- Affordable quotes
- Offers a loyalty scheme
- Protection for day-to-day taxi work
- Will try to keep you on the road
- 24/7 claims support
ACE is an insurance provider that offers a range of business insurance products that are designed to meet the needs of small businesses. They specialise in providing insurance to businesses that are in the motor trade and taxi drivers as they aim to keep business vehicles on the road.
ACE Insurance’s taxi insurance offers businesses a tailored insurance product with comprehensive, third party fire and theft or third-party cover. They provide a personal service with affordable quotes and they have a 24/7 claims support helpline as well as offering a loyalty scheme for customers. They provide policies for both public hire and private hire taxi businesses.
3. Kerry London
Some of the features and benefits of Kerry London’s taxi insurance.
- Commercial vehicle insurance
- Includes passenger carrying vehicles
- Covers accidents, fire and theft
- Tailored service
- Exclusive policy wordings
- Will help you get the right level of cover
- Aims to help minimise the disruption to your business
- Experienced insurance provider
- UK based claims team
- Provides personal account managers
Kerry London is an insurance provider that offers a range of business insurance products that are largely created for manufacturing, healthcare, construction, property, sports and leisure sector. Their range of products includes commercial motor insurance such as fleet insurance and commercial vehicle insurance which includes cover for taxi businesses.
Kerry London’s commercial vehicle insurance is designed to cover a wide variety of vehicles which includes those carrying passengers like taxis. They provide personal account managers who will tailor their insurance policies to you with exclusive wording and they will ensure you get the right level of cover.
4. Acorn Insurance
Some of the features and benefits of Acorn Insurance’s taxi insurance.
- Flexible taxi insurance
- Specialist provider
- Annual and short-term cover
- Choice of comprehensive, third party fire and theft, and third party
- Private and public hire
- Fleet of taxis
- Competitive prices
- Considers all circumstances and drivers
- Includes public liability taxi insurance
Acorn Insurance is an insurance provider that offers specialist business insurance products in household and motor vehicle insurance which includes cars, vans, taxis and motor trade insurance. Their taxi insurance offers a variety of insurance policies which includes private hire, public hire, minibus and fleets of taxis.
Acorn Insurance’s taxi insurance is a flexible policy and you can choose the level of cover you require from comprehensive, third party fire and theft, and third party cover. They will consider all circumstances which include drivers that have been refused or declined insurance. They provide both annual and short-term insurance which includes public liability taxi insurance.
5. DNA Insurance
Some of the features and benefits of DNA Insurance’s taxi insurance.
- Variety of taxi insurance
- Public hire
- Private hire
- Immediate cover available
- Rewards more experienced drivers
- Unlimited mileage policies
- Legal expenses
- Offers a range of optional extras
- 24-hour claims helpline
DNA Insurance is an independent insurance provider that offers a variety of business insurance products. They are UK based including their call centre and they specialise in commercial vehicle insurance which includes fleet insurance, car, van, minibus, taxi and motor trade.
DNA Insurance’s taxi insurance covers public and private hire companies, minicab, chauffeurs and taxi fleet with immediate cover and they reward more experienced drivers that are over 35 years old. Their cover includes unlimited mileage and legal expenses. They offer optional extras such as guaranteed vehicle hire, breakdown cover, protected no claims bonus, gadget cover and windscreen cover.