If you are planning an event that involves members of the public then you may want to consider taking out public liability insurance that is designed specifically for events to protect you from claims from injury and damage to property.
Insurance for events can cover just public liability or it can be combined with other relevant cover such as cancellation, personal accident and employer’s liability insurance which also includes volunteers as public liability insurance does not cover them.
Below we have examined what leading insurance providers can offer organisers of small events through to larger event and event planning businesses.
Disclaimer: SmallBusinessPrices.co.uk is a general business information website only and is not regulated by the FCA. We can’t recommend any company and/or product, nor assess your suitability for any product and/or company listed here. We are not a lender, advisor, broker, bank or insurer and can’t make any financial recommendations. Companies are ranked in no particular order and this in no way indicates one is better than another. We may choose to work with companies that are authorised and regulated with the FCA who may offer a variety of financial services. If so, they may pay us a fee, but there is no obligation or requirement on your part to use them to access this website. These fees allow us to run and maintain this website at no cost to you.
The table below gives a quick comparison of the top UK providers for public liability insurance for events.
|Company||Minimum cover||Maximum cover|
|Zurich||Not stated||£5 million|
|NFU Mutual||Not stated||£2.5 million|
|Hiscox||Not stated||£10 million|
|Markel direct||Not stated||£10 million|
|UK General Insurance||Not stated||Not stated|
* The facts and figures included here come from each company’s website and were accurate at the time of writing (April 2019) but may have since changed. Also, please keep in mind these may not be apples to apples comparisons as each provider offers different solutions. This guide should be used as a starting off point for more research on your part.
Below we profile each of the companies’ services and features in a bit more detail.
Note companies are ranked in no particular order and this no way indicates one solution is better than another.
Some of the features and benefits of Zurich’s public liability insurance for events.
- Charity and community event insurance
- Protection for your attendees
- Flexible insurance
- Caters for diverse needs
- Public liability cover
- Can add cover for personal accident
- Also add money, equipment and more
- Quick online quoting tool
- Cover starts from less than £100 per year
- Can be purchased directly from them
Zurich is an insurance provider that offers a range of life and health-based business insurance products that are designed to give businesses protection and to assist employees. They also offer several niche products which include charity and community event insurance.
Zurich’s charity and community event insurance offers protection to organisations that are running an event as it provides public liability insurance to protect both the attendees and your organisation in the event of accident or incident occurring. They provide flexible cover that caters for a wide range of organisations and their events. The cover can be extended to include additional cover such as personal accident, money, equipment and more.
2. NFU Mutual
Some of the features and benefits of NFU Mutual’s public liability insurance for events.
- Comprehensive cover for event and show organisers
- Flexible cover that can be tailored to your event
- Public liability insurance
- Product liability
- Money and assault cover
- Offers a range of additional cover
- Cancellation cover can be added
- Covers injury to the public and damage to property
- Provides defence costs and compensation
- Available directly from them
NFU Mutual is an insurance provider that is run by its members for their benefit. They offer a broad range of insurance products that are targeted towards specific businesses and industries such as hospitality, food and drink manufacturers, wholesalers, estates, retailers and property owners.
NFU Mutual’s cover for event and show organisers is designed to protect the organisation/business from claims for compensation resulting from an injury or damage to property, however, it does not include employees or volunteers. The cover includes public liability, product liability, money and assault cover as standard with optional extra cover including cancellation, property damage, employer’s liability and group personal accident.
Some of the features and benefits of Hiscox’s public liability insurance for events.
- Event liability insurance
- Protection from claims for accidental injury to attendees
- Includes property damage
- Covers small business dinners to major international conventions
- Offers single event, multiple event and annual cover
- Public liability up to £10 million
- Employer’s liability up to £10 million
- Indemnity for directors and employees
- Liability for venue damage
- Indemnity to venue owners or operators
- Suitable for event organisation businesses
Hiscox is an insurance provider that offers a range of business insurance products as either a combined package tailored to specific needs or as standalone products. Their product range includes a range of liability insurance products such as event liability insurance which offers protection from claims for injuries and property damage.
Hiscox’s event liability insurance includes public liability up to £10 million, employer’s liability up to £10 million, various currency options, liability for damage to venues, and indemnity cover for directors, employees, venue owners or operators. They offer cover for one-off events, multiple events in a calendar and an annual policy suited to event organisers.
4. Markel direct
Some of the features and benefits of Markel direct’s public liability insurance for events.
- Specialist cover for conferences and exhibitions
- Suitable for event organisers and planners
- Peace of mind insurance cover
- Choice of cover to include
- Public, product and employer’s liability insurance
- Professional indemnity insurance
- Office insurance
- Occupational personal accident insurance
- Interest-free direct debit and no hidden fees
- Cover from as little as £5 per month
Markel direct is an insurance provider that specialises in offering a range of business insurance products that can be purchased as standalone insurance products or as part of a tailored package designed for your industry or sector. Cover includes specialist products for events which can be purchased directly from them.
Markel direct’s event organiser insurance offers a tailored insurance product that can include all the elements of cover that you want. Cover can include public, product and employer’s liability with cover up to £10 million, professional indemnity, directors and officers’ insurance, office insurance, occupational personal accident cover, legal cover, cyber and data risks insurance.
5. UK General Insurance
Some of the features and benefits of UK General Insurance’s public liability insurance for events.
- Event insurance
- Protection for organisers
- Suited to small church/garden fetes to larger commercial events
- Can cover one-off events or multiple events up to 15 per year
- Public liability insurance
- Employer’s liability insurance
- Cancellation, abandonment and postponement
- Event equipment including marquees and hired equipment
- Optional extra cover for costs incurred for cancellation
- Available only through a broker
UK General Insurance is an insurance underwriter that offers a range of business insurance products which they offer through a network of independent brokers. They offer a wide range of business insurance products that cater for a variety of businesses and industries with a flexible product range which brokers can tailor to meet your needs.
UK General Insurance’s event insurance protects organisers of small events such as church or garden fetes through to larger commercial events as a one-off or multiple events up to 15 per calendar year. The cover includes public and employer’s liability insurance, cancellation, abandonment and postponement cover, and event equipment including hired equipment and marquees.
Financial Disclosure: We may be paid a fee if you purchase insurance via the Simply Business link at the top of this page.