Does your income depend on you being able to work? Are you an employer who is wanting to help protect its employees from the risks of accidents and the resulting financial uncertainty?
Then personal accident insurance might be what you are looking for or need. Personal accident insurance can cover individuals, named people or the whole group for accidental injury or death.
It will provide a regular income or a lump sum payout for the people injured. Below we have looked at what the leading personal accident insurance providers can offer you.
The table below gives a quick comparison of the top UK providers for personal accident insurance.
|AIG||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|RSA||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|Zurich||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|Allianz||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|Ageas||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|QBE||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|Chubb||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|HDI||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|AmTrust Europe||Not stated||Yes||Yes|
|Legal & General||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|Markel direct||£100,000||Not stated||Yes|
|Travelers||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|Tokio Marine||$30 million||Yes||Yes|
|Churchill||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
|UK General Insurance||Not stated||Not stated||Yes|
|Glemham Insurance||Not stated||Yes||Not stated|
* The facts and figures included here come from each company’s website and were accurate at the time of writing (February 2020) but may have since changed. Also, please keep in mind these may not be apples to apples comparisons as each provider offers different solutions. This guide should be used as a starting off point for more research on your part.
Below we profile each of the companies’ services and features in a bit more detail.
Some of the features and benefits of Aviva’s personal accident insurance.
- Income protection insurance
- Cover for your family finances
- Pays a proportion of your lost earnings
- Flexible cover
- Choice of fixed or variable benefits
- Expert claim help
- Dedicated case manager
- Supportive claim team
- Claim to offer exceptional service
- Available through a financial adviser only
Aviva is an insurance provider that offers a variety of business insurance through a network of independent financial advisers. Their range of business insurance that can protect your whole business or individual people such as income protection.
Aviva’s income protection insurance provides flexible cover and a choice of when your payments will commence and the length of time the policy will pay out for. You can also choose whether to have a fixed payment or one that increases with inflation. If you need to make a claim, you will receive support from an expert claim team and a dedicated case manager.
Some of the features and benefits of AIG’s personal accident insurance.
- Group personal accident and business travel
- Includes crisis insurance
- Once a claim is confirmed payments will be made within 24 hours
- Covers a broad range of serious injuries and accident help
- Medical Second Opinion for independent condition diagnosis
- Cover abroad including support, medical help and evacuation
- Can upgrade to Crisis Plus for additional protection
- Has a global assistance programme
- 24/7 support
- Travel Assistance app
AIG is an insurance provider that offers a wide range of business insurance products that can be purchased as standalone products or as part of a combined package designed for specific sectors. Their range of business insurance contains group personal accident and business travel that can also include crisis insurance.
AIG’s group personal accident and business travel insurance offers a broad range of cover including death, loss of limbs, disability, cosmetic reconstruction and recovery support. They offer Medical Second Opinion which allows individuals to get an independent second opinion on their condition. It also covers overseas support, medical help and evacuation with the choice to upgrade to Crisis Plus.
Some of the features and benefits of RSA’s personal accident insurance.
- Accident and health cover
- Protection for employees against accidents
- Great employee benefit
- Flexible product
- Work cover only or all-time cover
- Financial security when needed the most
- No fault compensation
- Covers the costs of home and workplace adaptation
- Benefits can be passed onto the employee’s dependents
- Available only through a broker
RSA is an insurance provider that offers a range of business insurance products that are available only through independent brokers. They offer a variety of business insurance which includes health and accident cover for employees called Personal Accident.
RSA’s Personal Accident cover offers protection for employees that gives them financial security in the event of an accident as it will provide the employee with an income whilst they are unable to work. The policy can cover work time only or it can include all-time cover. As a flexible product for employers, it also makes a great employee benefit that enhances the employer’s status and reputation.
Some of the features and benefits of Zurich’s personal accident insurance.
- Personal accident and business travel insurance
- Support for employees that travel for business
- Cover for small domestic businesses to multi-nationals
- Flexible and tailored cover
- Caters for a broad mix of industries
- Crisis PR assistance
- Medical second opinion
- Counselling and support service
- UK repatriation
- People-centric insurance products
Zurich is an insurance provider that offers a variety of business insurance that is focused on life and health insurance products. Their insurance products are designed with people at the heart as they provide cover that is focused around employees with many of the products benefiting the employee.
Zurich’s personal accident and business travel insurance support employees whether they are in the UK or travelling for work. It provides a wide range of cover with the personal accident element offering crisis PR assistance for employers, medical second opinion, counselling and support services. The business travel element offers kidnap and ransom cover, vehicle collision, and repatriation.
Some of the features and benefits of Allianz’s personal accident insurance.
- Group life insurance with optional extras
- A range of additional accident and health cover
- Financial protection and security for families
- Accidental dismemberment
- Accidental death
- Short-term disability
- Long-term disability
- Permanent disability
- The benefit amount can be fixed or salary linked
- Accelerated death benefit for terminal illness
Allianz is an insurance provider that caters for a range of industries and business sectors with a variety of business insurance products which includes group life insurance that offers a wide selection of accident and health-related additional extras.
Allianz’s group life insurance offers additional extras including accidental dismemberment, accident death, short-term, long-term and permanent disability cover which provide financial security to employees and their families as a lump sum or regular payments for a fixed period. Their group life cover offers either a fixed amount or a percentage of the employee’s gross annual salary, which pays out early in the event of being diagnosed with a terminal illness.
Some of the features and benefits of Ageas’ personal accident insurance.
- Standalone cover or part of combined products
- Protection for employees and employers
- Covers accident injury or death
- Weekly payments
- Covers training replacement employees
- Also allows buying out of a partner
- Business interruption protection
- Loss of key employees
- Top-up death in service benefit
- Available only through a broker
Ageas is an insurance provider that offers a range of standalone insurance products as well as combined insurance products that are tailored to meet the needs of specific professions and sectors. They offer personal accident insurance as a standalone product and as part of their combined products for distributors, tradesman, homeworkers, office and surgery, and manufacturers.
Ageas’ personal accident insurance offers weekly payments to employees giving them financial protection and security which is a great employee benefit. Their cover is also good for employers as it can also combine employer-related benefits including training replacements, overtime, buying out a partner, loss of key employees and business interruption protection.
Some of the features and benefits of QBE’s personal accident insurance.
- Accident and health cover
- Includes personal accident
- Also includes sickness, travel and other related cover
- Tailor-made cover
- Competitively priced
- Flexible policy
- Helps employers to protect their employees
- They will consider difficult risks
- Global emergency evacuation and medical assistance
- Internationally capabilities
QBE is an international provider of business insurance who offers a wide range of specialist insurance products and they cater for a broad range of risks including those that many insurance providers consider high or difficult risks.
QBE’s accident and health cover combine personal accident cover with sickness, travel and other related cover to provide employers with comprehensive cover to protect their employees. They offer competitively priced and flexible cover that can be tailor-made to meet your needs. It also includes international cover for business travel that will evacuate employees in emergencies and give medical assistance through their partner CEGA.
Some of the features and benefits of LV=’s personal accident insurance.
- Personal sick pay
- Income protection product
- Individual cover
- Aimed at those in riskier jobs
- Suited to tradespeople, nurses, electricians and construction workers
- Premiums costed by age
- Cover for up to 60% of your earnings
- Offers a flexible protection plan
- Suitable for the employed and self-employed
- Offers two levels of cover
LV= is a UK insurance provider that offers a range of insurance products that includes business insurance. They do not offer personal accident insurance as such but do offer personal sick pay cover which is a product designed for individuals, not for employers.
LV=’s personal sick pay offers individual protection for people that work in riskier professions such as tradesmen, nurses, electricians and construction workers with cover that is linked to your income and age. They offer two types of cover, full cover that will continue to pay until you are able to work again, and budget cover which will pay out up to two years.
Some of the features and benefits of Chubb’s personal accident insurance.
- Group personal accident cover
- Protection against loss from death or injury
- Comprehensive and flexible cover
- Can be used as a contractual benefit
- The business or the employee can be the beneficiary
- Choice of work-related or 24/7 cover
- Offers tiered levels of cover
- Can offer either a lump sum or weekly benefits
- Covers a wide range of injuries, disabilities and death
- They state that they offer a caring and fast claims service
Chubb is an insurance provider that offers a wide range of business insurance products that includes product-specific insurance and specialist industry-tailored insurance products. Their range of products includes group personal accident that gives comprehensive and flexible coverage.
Chubb’s group personal accident insurance can be set up with the employee and/or their family as beneficiaries, or for the business as the beneficiary. Businesses can use the money to cover the cost of funding and hiring a replacement. It can offer a single payment for death, loss of limbs/eyes, total permanent disablement, or weekly benefits for temporary, total and partial disablement.
Some of the features and benefits of HDI’s personal accident insurance.
- Group personal accident and business travel
- Protection for employees
- Covers employees at work and on business travel
- Can choose to include 24/7 cover
- Offers either fixed benefit or multiples of their salary
- Employers can decide how much goes to the employee
- Payout can be used to lessen the financial burden on the business
- Covers a broad range of injuries, disability and death
- Insures employees against risks abroad
- Can be used as an employee benefit
HDI is an international insurance provider that offers a broad range of insurance products that includes specialist insurance that is designed for specific industries. Their insurance products include employee protection such as group personal accident.
HDI’s group personal accident product is designed for employers to choose what cover they want to benefit from themselves and how much the employee or their family will receive as well as whether to cover the employees 24/7 or for work only. It also provides cover for employees travelling abroad for business. It can help your business recover from the loss of a key person and can also be a great employee benefit.
Some of the features and benefits of Hiscox’s personal accident insurance.
- Individual cover
- Protection for your business
- Financially supports businesses
- Available for key members of staff
- Covers injury and accidents
- Can receive a lump sum
- Weekly payouts
- Can offset the loss of income and cover retraining costs
- Immediate cover
- No interest on direct debits and no admin fees
Hiscox is an insurance provider that offers a range of business insurance products that can be purchased as a standalone policy or as combined products that can be tailored to meet your needs. Their personal accident cover is a standalone product but you can combine it with other business insurance.
Hiscox’s personal accident insurance gives businesses reassurance and support in the event of the insured person being unable to work. It gives financial support which can be used to offset the loss of income or to help you to retrain staff, this can be in the form of a lump sum or weekly payouts.
12. AmTrust Europe
Some of the features and benefits of AmTrust Europe’s personal accident insurance.
- Protection for employees
- Combined packages available
- Can cover accident, travel, injury and sickness
- Offers cover for sole traders and businesses
- Will bespoke policies to meet your needs
- Great employee benefit
- Includes accidental death and permanent disabilities
- Gives a weekly income
- Can be extended to include hospitalisation and lifestyle
- International insurance provider
AmTrust Europe is an international provider of business insurance products who offer a range of specialist products designed to meet specific business needs or to cater for particular industries. They offer a range of accident and health cover that includes personal accident cover which can be combined with travel and sickness cover.
AmTrust Europe’s personal accident cover can be used for individuals or for the group and it is available to all businesses from sole traders upwards. They can create bespoke packages to meet the needs of your business and your staff and you can extend the cover so that it includes hospitalisation and lifestyle cover.
13. Legal & General
Some of the features and benefits of Legal & General’s personal accident insurance.
- Group income protection cover
- Provides an income when unable to work long term
- Covers illness and injury
- Offers a range of cover choice
- Deferred periods can apply
- Payments can cover until the employee returns to work or retirement age
- Assistance in managing your long-term sickness absence
- Includes rehabilitation
- Reduces the impact of long-term absence costs
- Supports employees return to work
Legal & General is a UK insurance provider that offers group protection products for businesses. Although they do not offer personal accident cover their group income protection cover gives a lot of the same benefits to employees and employers.
Legal & General’s group income protection is a great employee benefit as it gives security of receiving an income if they are injured at work which can cover them until they can return to work or reach state pension age. The level of cover is flexible with a range of options. Their cover also offers employers help in managing long-term sickness and assists employees back to work.
14. Markel direct
Some of the features and benefits of Markel direct’s personal accident insurance.
- Occupational personal accident insurance
- Cover for work-related injuries
- Includes travel to and from work
- Offers weekly benefits or a cash lump sum depending on the injury
- Can cover temporary and permanent disablement
- Includes death cover
- Loss of limbs, sight, speech and hearing
- Cover from as little as £5 per month
- Interest-free direct debits and no hidden fees
- Particularly suits contractors, consultants and the self-employed
Markel direct is an insurance provider that specialises in business insurance for smaller businesses and the self-employed. They offer their insurance products direct and they have transparent pricing with an online quoting tool. They offer standalone and combined products that have been tailored to meet the needs of specific professions.
Markel direct’s occupational personal accident insurance provides cover for work-related injuries and includes travelling to and from work. In the event of an injury, you will receive a weekly amount or a lump sum depending on your injury. They provide cover for death, temporary and permanent disablement, loss of limbs, sight, speech and hearing.
Some of the features and benefits of Traveler’s personal accident insurance.
- Accident cover that supports all involved
- Gives businesses financial support when losing a key employee
- Supports employee’s return to work
- Covers death and disablement
- Enhanced protection for businesses
- An employee benefit
- Standalone cover
- Can be combined with other related cover
- They cover a broad range of industries and risks
- Available only through an independent broker
Travelers is an insurance provider that specialises in offering business insurance products as either standalone products or as combined packages that are designed to meet the needs of specific industries. They offer a range of business protection products which includes personal accident insurance.
Travelers’ personal accident insurance is designed to work in addition to employer’s liability insurance which offers some compensation to employees but doesn’t support employers. Their cover offers businesses the financial support they need when losing a key employee and also helps them to effectively support employees. The policy is designed to benefit both the employer and the employee and is therefore a good employee benefit.
16. Tokio Marine
Some of the features and benefits of Tokio Marine’s personal accident insurance.
- Group personal accident and sickness cover
- Tailored policies
- Caters for small to large businesses
- Bespoke solutions
- Also offers individual cover
- A great employee benefit
- Offers specialist cover for high-earners, key employees and dispersed staff
- One of the UK’s largest personal accident insurance providers
- Also offers key man insurance
- Available only through a broker
Tokio Marine is an international insurance provider with a strong UK presence and is one of the largest UK providers of personal accident insurance. They offer a wide range of business insurance as standalone or combined insurance products that are tailored to meet the needs of specific industries.
Tokio Marine’s personal accident insurance is offered as a group or individual cover and can be tailored to meet the needs of businesses and they offer specialist cover that is designed for high-earners, key employees and geographically dispersed staff. Personal accident cover can be combined with other cover and they also offer key man cover that offers great protection for businesses.
Some of the features and benefits of NIG’s personal accident insurance.
- Combined insurance which includes personal accident cover
- Covers bodily injury that results in death or disablement
- Can provide 24-hour cover
- Provides capital benefits up to £50,000
- Available on several combined products
- Suited to tradesman, professionals, shops and other professions
- Offered to small home businesses to larger businesses
- Cover options available – assault or death and permanent disablement
- Available to a wide selection of businesses
- Can be purchased through their e-trading hub
NIG is an insurance provider that offers a wide range of business insurance products that have been designed to meet the needs of specific industries or professions with tailored packages of cover. They provide combined packages such as tradesman, professionals, shops, offices, surgeries, hotels and leisure, manufacturers and wholesalers.
NIG does not sell standalone insurance cover but offers personal accident cover as part of many of their insurance packages. It offers two levels of cover depending on the insurance package. They offer assault only cover up to £10,000 or death and disablement cover up to £50,000. Their cover is suited to small to larger businesses and includes home-based businesses.
Some of the features and benefits of Churchill’s personal accident insurance.
- Offered as part of their public liability insurance
- Optional extra only
- Flexible and tailored policies
- Insurance for the named person/s
- Can also add death benefit
- Offers a wide of other related cover
- Combined cover can offer greater protection and affordability
- Choice of the level of cover
- Available to tradesmen and the self-employed
- Discounts are available to existing policyholders
Churchill is a UK insurance provider that offers only two specific business insurance products designed for landlords or for small business owners. They offer small businesses public liability insurance that includes a wide range of optional extras that are designed for tradesmen and other self-employed professionals. Their cover can include personal accident, employer’s liability, equipment cover, stock protection, contracts works, own and hired plant equipment.
Churchill’s personal accident cover is an optional extra that insures named individuals against personal accidents which can be extended to include death benefits up to £10,000 and can offer weekly benefits up to £100.
19. UK General Insurance
Some of the features and benefits of UK General Insurance’s personal accident insurance.
- Offers a range of personal accident insurance products
- Financial protection in the event of an injury or death
- Available as standalone cover or as an add-on to other cover
- Home personal accident insurance
- Lifestyle personal accident insurance
- Motor personal accident insurance
- Covers a broad range of injuries and death
- Includes hospitalisation and personal effects
- Helps with rehabilitation such as physiotherapy and stress counselling
- Available through a broker
UK General Insurance is an insurance underwriter that offers a broad range of insurance products that are designed for businesses as standalone or combined products. They provide their insurance through a network of brokers who can tailor the cover to meet the customer’s needs.
UK General Insurance’s personal accident cover is available in three products – home personal accident insurance which can be added on to home insurance; lifestyle personal accident insurance to cover individuals 24/7; and motor personal accident insurance which covers motoring accidents only. Their cover offers protection for death, a wide variety of injuries and additional cover for hospitalisation, personal effects, physiotherapy and stress counselling.
Some of the features and benefits of Glemham’s personal accident insurance.
- Combined business insurance
- Includes personal accident
- Comprehensive cover
- Accidental death, bodily injury and total disablement
- Lump sum payment for certain circumstances
- Weekly payments up to 104 weeks
- Extended cover for medical expenses
- Covers a wide variety of business types
- Will cover businesses that can demonstrate good risk management
- Available direct from them
Glemham Insurance is an insurance provider that offers a variety of business insurance products that they offer to businesses that have taken steps to understand and minimise their risks through effective risk management. They offer packaged insurance products that include a variety of cover and a range of optional extras.
Glemham Insurance’s business insurance offers comprehensive cover that includes personal accident cover which gives financial protection to the named person for accidental death, bodily injury and total disablement. The policy gives cover and weekly payments for up to 104 weeks or a lump sum in some circumstances.
Financial Disclosure: We may be paid a fee if you purchase insurance via the Simply Business link at the top of this page.