Whether you have a single truck or haulage vehicle, or you have a fleet of them, you will want to protect these valuable assets which are essential to the running of your business. Depending on what your loads contain you may require additional cover to protect you from accidental spillage and environmental liability. Below we have explored what the leading insurance providers can offer.
The table below gives a quick comparison of the top UK providers for truck and HGV insurance.
|Company||Minimum cover||Maximum cover|
|RSA||Not stated||£10 million|
|Ageas||Not stated||Not stated|
|QBE||Not stated||£30 million|
|LV=||Not stated||£5 million|
|NFU Mutual||Not stated||£5 million|
|Covea||Not stated||Not stated|
|HDI||Not stated||Not stated|
|Tokio Marine||Not stated||Not stated|
|NIG||Not stated||£2 million|
|Pen Underwriting||Not stated||£10 million|
* The facts and figures included here come from each company’s website and were accurate at the time of writing (Jan 2022) but may have since changed. Also, please keep in mind these may not be apples to apples comparisons as each provider offers different solutions. This guide should be used as a starting off point for more research on your part.
Below we profile each of the companies’ services and features in a bit more detail.
Note companies are ranked in no particular order and this no way indicates one solution is better than another.
Some of the features and benefits of Aviva’s truck and HGV insurance.
- Specialist truck insurance
- Designed for haulage companies and truck drivers
- Cover for up to 4 trucks
- Tailored cover
- Covers from 3.5 to 60 tonnes
- Articulated truck
- Skip carriers
- Low loaders
Aviva is an insurance provider that offers a variety of business insurance products which includes a range of vehicle cover. Their vehicle range includes fleet insurance, motor trade, truck, special types and agricultural vehicles. Their truck insurance is designed for haulage companies and individual haulage and truck drivers.
Aviva’s truck insurance is designed for articulated trucks, flatbeds, skip carriers, exhibition units, rigid lorries, tankers and low loaders. It covers trucks that weigh between 3.5 tonnes and 60 tonnes with a maximum vehicle cover of 4 vehicles on the policy. They have no vehicle age limit and the vehicle value limit of £250,000.
Some of the features and benefits of RSA’s truck and HGV insurance.
- Haulage Solutions
- Designed for small road haulage operations
- Flexible cover
- Liability cover required of hauliers
- Suited to companies with up to 10 vehicles
- Available to general cargo, couriers and temperature-controlled cargo
- Can be extended to cover additional items
- Cargo entrusted to subcontractors
- Public and employer’s liability
RSA offers a wide range of business insurance products which are either standalone products or packaged policies that are designed for specific sectors. They offer a range of motor insurance products which include fleet insurance and cover for various vehicle types such as haulage vehicles.
RSA’s Haulage Solution is designed to cater for companies with up to 10 vehicles which can include general cargo, couriers, temperature-controlled cargo, CMR and RHA conditions of carriage. Their cover is flexible and covers the regulations required for CMR and RHA. Their cover can be extended to include trailers, cargo entrusted to subcontractors, public liability and employer’s liability up to £10 million.
Some of the features and benefits of Ageas’s truck and HGV insurance.
- Fleet cover
- Tailored cover
- Suitable for small to large fleets
- Minimum fleet size is 3 vehicles
- Can be used for private or commercial vehicles
- Cover includes accidents and theft
- Windscreen cover
- Covers vehicles used for delivering goods
- Aim to get you back on the road quickly
- Can only be purchased through a broker
Ageas is an insurance provider which offers a range of business insurance products that have been created as packaged policies designed for specific sectors and professions as well as more generic insurance products. They offer a range of motor insurance products which include fleet insurance which caters for a range of commercial vehicles.
Ageas’ fleet insurance has been designed to be suitable for small to large fleets that have a minimum of 3 private or commercial vehicles. Their fleet insurance is a tailored policy that covers vehicles for accidents and theft and windscreen cover. Their cover includes vehicles that are used for delivering goods.
Some of the features and benefits of QBE’s truck and HGV insurance.
- Motor fleet insurance
- Covers cars, commercial vehicles, coach, bus and minibus
- Designed for fleets up to 15 vehicles or medium to large fleets over 15 vehicles
- Choice of cover level
- Flexible and tailored policies
- Will support you in reducing your fleet risks
- Assist you in reducing your downtime
- Has a 24/7 claim helpline
- Online repair tracker
- Only available through a broker
QBE is an international insurance provider that offers a range of business insurance products which have been created as standalone or combined products that meet the needs of a variety of businesses of all sizes. Their range includes motor insurance such as motor fleet cover.
QBE’s motor fleet cover is suited to a broad range of vehicles including cars, coaches, buses, minibuses and commercial vehicles such as haulage, construction and hazardous goods. They have policies that are designed for fleets up to 15 vehicles and ones for over 15 vehicles. Their policies are flexible and tailored and will help you to reduce your fleet risks and vehicle downtime.
Some of the features and benefits of LV=’s truck and HGV insurance.
- Van insurance
- Covers vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes
- Includes tippers, refrigerated vehicles and ice cream vans
- New van replacement
- Personal accident
- Personal effects
- Replacement locks
- Courtesy vehicle cover
- Public liability cover up to £5 million
- Available only through a broker
LV= is an insurance provider that offers a variety of business insurance products which includes a range of vehicle insurance products such as cars, vans, motorcycle and specialist vehicle insurance products. Their range of business insurance products are only available through a network of independent brokers.
LV=’s van insurance is available for vehicles that are up to 7.5 tonnes which include commercial vehicles such as tippers, refrigerated vehicles and ice cream vans. Their van cover offers new van replacement, personal accident, personal effects, replacement locks, courtesy cover and public liability cover up to £5 million.
6. NFU Mutual
Some of the features and benefits of NFU Mutual’s truck and HGV insurance.
- Specific truck insurance
- Designed for HGVs, trucks and lorries
- For vehicles over 3.5 tonnes
- Protection for your crucial assets
- Choice of cover
- Covers damage and public liability
- Can cover trailers
- Breakdown cover and roadside assistance
- Motor legal protection
NFU Mutual is a mutual society that is run for the benefit of its members and is an insurance provider that offers a variety of business insurance products. They offer a range of commercial vehicle insurance products which includes fleet insurance, van insurance and truck insurance.
NFU Mutual’s truck insurance is designed for commercial vehicles that are over 3.5 tonnes including HGVs, trucks and lorries. They provide protection for your crucial assets with a choice of comprehensive, third party fire and theft, and third party only which includes damage, public liability up to £5 million, no claims discount and trailers.
Some of the features and benefits of Covea’s truck and HGV insurance.
- Motor fleet
- For commercial vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes
- Suitable for fleets with 3 to 25 vehicles
- Special vehicles will be considered
- Choice of cover level
- Cover for business, social, domestic and pleasure
- Includes personal effects, replacement locks and misfuelling
- Covers personal accident and medical expenses
- Provides new vehicle replacement and courtesy vehicles
- Overseas cover included for 90 days
Covea is an insurance provider that offers a range of business insurance products which are packaged as complete cover designed to meet the needs of specific businesses and professions. They sell their insurance products through their e-portal to small businesses or through a broker. Their range of products includes motor fleet insurance which is designed for vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes.
Covea’s motor fleet insurance is suitable for fleets with 3 to 25 vehicles which can include some special vehicles. They offer a choice of comprehensive, third party fire and theft, and third party only as well coverage for business, social, domestic and pleasure.
Some of the features and benefits of HDI’s truck and HGV insurance.
- Motor fleet insurance
- Suitable for mixed fleets of over 250 vehicles
- Most suited for long-term agreements
- Has a technology-driven approach
- Vehicles are required to have telematics
- Aims to reduce risks
- Provides a risk management programme
- Offers a driver education programme
- They have their own repair management service
- Monitor claims online
HDI is an international insurance provider that offers a range of business insurance products that are designed for larger businesses and their products can be purchased through a broker. Their range includes a variety of specialist insurance products including motor fleet insurance.
HDI’s motor fleet insurance is a technology-driven approach to fleet management that is designed to help businesses to reduce the risk of incidents to their fleet. They use telematics to support driver improvements compared with driver risk management programmes and driver education programmes. They also have fully integrated their repair management service and allow customers to manage their claims online.
9. Tokio Marine
Some of the features and benefits of Tokio Marine’s truck and HGV insurance.
- Motor insurance
- Niche and specialist products including commercial vehicles
- Cover light and heavy commercial vehicles
- Covers physical damage
- Third-party liability
- Offers a range of complementary cover
- International coverage
- Experienced underwriters
- Can be purchased direct or through an agent
Tokio Marine is an international insurance provider that offers a range of business insurance products that are designed to help businesses to mitigate risks and claims. Their product range includes motor insurance which covers a variety of cars, light commercial vehicles, heavy commercial vehicles, motorbikes, motor homes, contractors’ plant and equipment.
Tokio Marine’s motor insurance caters for niche and specialist vehicles which cover these vehicles for general damage and accidents as well as third party liability cover to protect your business from claims for property damage and injury. As an experienced and international underwriter, they understand the needs of a variety of vehicles.
Some of the features and benefits of NIG’s truck and HGV insurance.
- Commercial vehicle insurance
- Designed for a single-vehicle basis
- Choice of comprehensive or third-party fire and theft
- Named driver basis only
- Covers the insurer’s own goods only
- Covers vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes
- Maximum vehicle value of £30,000
- Protected no claims bonus available
- Foreign use available on request
- Third-party property damage up to £2 million
NIG is an insurance provider that offers a wide range of business insurance products which are packaged as industry or profession-specific products or individual cover. They offer a range of motor insurance products that includes mini fleet and commercial vehicles.
NIG’s mini fleet insurance covers from 2 to 15 vehicles that can be up to 4 tonnes including trailers and forklifts. Their commercial vehicle insurance is for individual vehicles and named drivers only for vehicles that are up to 3.5 tonnes. The limit for commercial vehicle insurance is £30,000 on their comprehensive cover and £7,000 on third party fire and theft.
11. Pen Underwriting
Some of the features and benefits of Pen Underwriting’s truck and HGV insurance.
- Motor fleet insurance
- Designed for hazardous industries
- Works with industry bodies
- 24/7 Environmental Response Service
- Offers specialist driver training in ADR and CPC
- Own in-house training team
- Minimum of 25% of goods need to be hazardous
- Covers spillage
- Liability cover up to £10 million
- Personal accident and legal expenses
Pen Underwriting is a virtual insurer who provides flexible underwriting services offering a range of business insurance products which they specialise in combined commercial cover, liability, property, hazardous and environmental industries. This range includes motor fleet insurance designed for hazardous industries.
Pen Underwriting’s motor fleet insurance covers transportation of a variety of hazardous materials but your fleet needs to carry a minimum of 25% hazardous goods or 25% of the fleet are tankers. They work with industry bodies to create the best cover which includes spillage, a range of liability cover up to £10 million, new vehicle replacement, personal accident, legal expenses, hire of vehicles and theft of keys.