If you have a minibus for either personal or business use, you will need to ensure that you have insurance that covers you for the purpose that you use it for. If you use the vehicle for hire and reward or private hire then you may require additional cover to protect you and your passengers. Below we have explored what insurance and options are available for minibuses.
The table below gives a quick comparison of the top UK providers for minibus insurance.
|Company||Minimum cover||Maximum cover|
|Aviva||Not stated||£20 million|
|QBE||Not stated||£30 million|
|HDI||Not stated||Not stated|
|Kerry London||Not stated||Not stated|
|Acorn Insurance||Not stated||Not stated|
|DNA Insurance||Not stated||£10 million|
* The facts and figures included here come from each company’s website and were accurate at the time of writing (February 2020) but may have since changed. Also, please keep in mind these may not be apples to apples comparisons as each provider offers different solutions. This guide should be used as a starting off point for more research on your part.
Below we profile each of the companies’ services and features in a bit more detail.
Note companies are ranked in no particular order and this no way indicates one solution is better than another.
Some of the features and benefits of Aviva’s minibus insurance.
- Taxi insurance
- Also covers minibuses
- Tailored solution
- Can cover up to 4 vehicles
- Covers the carriage of passengers
- Vehicles can be used for hire and reward
- Choice of cover level
- Includes third-party property damage of £20 million
- Repairs are guaranteed for three years
- Legal services and advice
Aviva offers a variety of business insurance products that cater for small to medium-sized businesses. Their product range includes a range of motor insurance which includes taxi insurance that covers taxis, minicabs, minibuses and chauffeur-driven limousines.
Aviva’s taxi insurance covers businesses that have up to 4 vehicles with the choice of cover level – comprehensive, third party fire and theft, and third party only. Their cover offers protection for vehicles that carry passengers which can be for hire and reward and includes third-party property damage up to £20 million, legal services and advice. If repairs are undertaken by an Aviva approved repairer, they will be guaranteed for three years.
Some of the features and benefits of QBE’s minibus insurance.
- Motor fleet insurance
- Covers commercial vehicles, cars, bus and minibuses
- Flexible cover
- Suitable for small fleets under 15 vehicles as well larger fleets
- Choice of cover
- Will help to minimise the disruption to your business
- Support to reduce risks
- 24/7 claims helpline
- Online repair tracker
- Only available through a broker
QBE is an international insurance provider offering a range of business insurance which includes both standalone products and combined products that are designed to meet the needs of specific trades. This range includes motor fleet insurance which can cover commercial vehicles, cars, bus and minibuses.
QBE’s motor fleet insurance has been designed to help businesses to minimise the disruption to their business and reduce the risks that the business faces. Their motor fleet insurance is split into two categories – those with under 15 vehicles and those with larger fleets over 15 vehicles. They provide a 24/7 claims helpline and their online repair tracker allows you to oversee any claims.
Some of the features and benefits of HDI’s minibus insurance.
- Fleet insurance
- Suitable for a variety of vehicles
- Designed for larger fleets with our 250 vehicles
- Suits those wanting longer-term agreements
- Mandatory vehicle telematics
- Will help businesses to reduce fleet costs
- Offers driver risk management programme
- Provides driver education programme
- Has an online claim management system
- Offers a fully integrated repair management service
HDI is an international insurance provider that offers a range of business insurance products through a network of brokers. Their product range includes motor fleet insurance which has been designed for larger businesses with fleets over 250 vehicles that can be cars, vans, HGVs, passenger vehicles and specialist vehicles.
HDI’s motor fleet insurance is suitable for businesses that want to make a longer-term commitment and want to reduce their fleet expenditure, running costs and risks. Their motor fleet insurance requires fleets to have mandatory vehicle telematics installed to assist in managing the fleet. To support the reduction in risks they provide driver risk management programmes and driver education programmes.
4. Kerry London
Some of the features and benefits of Kerry London’s minibus insurance.
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance
- Suitable for passenger carriers
- Tailored cover
- Accident, fire and theft
- Exclusive policy wording
- Competitively priced
- Experienced UK based claims team
- Quick and efficient claims handling
- Personal account managers will help to create a policy for you
- Covers a variety of trades and professions
Kerry London is an insurance provider and underwriter that offers a variety of business insurance products. They provide a range of motor vehicle insurance which includes fleet insurance and Commercial Vehicle Insurance.
Kerry London’s Commercial Vehicle Insurance offers cover for a wide variety of business vehicles which includes those used for the carriage of passengers such as minibuses. Their cover offers tailored insurance policies that can be created to meet your needs with exclusive policy wording and a personal account manager will assist you in getting the right cover. It offers standard cover which includes accident, fire and theft.
5. Acorn Insurance
Some of the features and benefits of Acorn Insurance’s minibus insurance.
- Dedicated Minibus Insurance
- Commercial and private cover
- Competitive and affordable cover
- Covers vehicles with 6 to 16 seats
- Suitable for hire and reward
- Cover for passengers
- Includes injury
- Damage to personal belongings
- Experienced provider
- Offers a range of complementary cover
Acorn Insurance is an insurance provider that offers a range of home and vehicle insurance products which includes commercial vehicle insurance. Their vehicle insurance range includes Minibus Insurance which is suitable for commercial and private minibuses.
Acorn Insurance’s Minibus Insurance can cover minibuses that seat from 6 to 16 people and it allows for hire and reward use. Their specialist Minibus Taxi Insurance offers additional cover for passengers which includes cover for injuries and damage to personal belongings. Acorn Insurance has been providing minibus insurance for over 30 years and also offers a range of complementary cover.
6. DNA Insurance
Some of the features and benefits of DNA Insurance’s minibus insurance.
- Specialist Minibus Insurance
- Any use cover
- Personal or commercial use
- Flexible payment options
- Replacement vehicle on non-fault claims
- Legal expenses
- Offers a range of optional extras
- Liability insurance
- Breakdown cover
- 24-hour claims helpline
DNA Insurance is an insurance provider that offers a range of specialist vehicle insurance products and landlord insurance. Their range includes Minibus Insurance which is suitable for private or commercial use including hire and reward or private hire. It covers most uses including businesses, charities, churches, community groups, clubs, fleets, schools and nurseries.
DNA Insurance’s Minibus Insurance offers a choice of cover which includes comprehensive, third party fire and theft, and third party only cover. They also offer a variety of optional cover including employer’s liability, public liability up to £10 million, breakdown cover, windscreen cover, protected no claims and gadget insurance.