If you want to get the most out of your point of sale equipment, then choosing the right EPOS software and accompanying hardware is essential.
There is a wide range of EPOS software solutions available on the market from a variety of different providers. Many providers tailor their systems and software to specific industries and provide a range of add-ons or features that cater for different business needs.
Most software providers offer enhanced reporting which can give businesses greater insight into their business and help with decision making. Below we have reviewed what the leading EPOS software providers can offer.
Some of the features and benefits of Lightspeed’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Fully integrated software
- Manage all your operations in one place
- Increase loyalty through improved customer experience
- Integrate customer facing or kitchen displays
- Incorporates inventory management
- Integrate with other partner apps
- One-to-one free onboarding session
- Support available through webinars, demos and videos
- Offer hardware products
- Free unlimited 24/7 support
Lightspeed is a EPOS software provider who offers an integrated software solution that is targeted at retailers and restauranteurs. They have catered their solutions to their target audiences by offering functionality and add-ons that can make running the business easier.
Lightspeed offers restauranteurs the functionality to have greater oversight of their operations and to introduce add-ons such as customer facing and kitchen displays as well as software to help manage customers with loyalty schemes and CRM system. They also offer retailers greater oversight which includes inventory management. Their software also integrates with other leading partner apps and they can provide EPOS hardware to complete your solution.
The table below gives a quick price comparison of the top UK providers for point of sale and EPOS software.
|Free, % per transaction
|APG Cash Drawer
|Open Retail Solutions
* The facts and figures included here come from each company’s website and were accurate at the time of writing but may have since changed. Also, please keep in mind these may not be apples to apples comparisons as each provider offers different solutions. This guide should be used as a starting off point for more research on your part.
Below we profile each of the companies’ services and features in a bit more detail.
Note companies are ranked in no particular order and this no way indicates one solution is better than another.
Some of the features and benefits of Square’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Point of sale software suited to all businesses
- Easy to use interface
- Free mobile point of sale app for iOS and Android
- Take payments from anywhere on smartphones and tablets
- Create printed or digital receipts
- Track and monitor all payments
- Inventory management
- Reporting functionality
- Minimal training needed
- Monitor multiple sites through the remote software
Square is a point of sale and EPOS software provider that offers a broad range of commerce payment solutions across multiple channels which their software enables the businesses to monitor and track all in one place.
Square offers a free point of sale app that can be used on tablets, iPads, Android and Apple smartphones which can enable businesses to take payments from virtually anywhere. Receipts can be printed or sent digitally. Their back-office system allows businesses to run reports, track and monitor all transactions and all inventory. You can also remotely check the back-office and segment it by site to see individual site performance.
Some of the features and benefits of Zettle’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Modern and mobile POS systems
- Offer software and hardware to take payments anywhere
- Use any device to take payments
- POS apps built for your business
- Software that will integrate with all the point of sale accessories you need
- User-friendly dashboard to track all sales and staff
- Detailed reporting facilities
- Track and analyse your sales
- Integrated cross-channel platform
- Solutions designed for retailers and restaurants
Zettle is a business that delivers software and hardware solutions for point of sale systems which are tailored to retailers and restaurateurs. They create payment solutions that are more modern to make the sales process more interactive and engaging.
Zettle have created a point of sale app that allows you to take payments from anywhere making your business more flexible. Their software can integrate with other software and point of sale hardware to create a complete solution that can work across different channels. They also offer a dashboard facility and reporting functionality that gives you greater insight into your business.
Some of the features and benefits of Shopify’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Ability to sell anywhere
- Easy to use software
- Accept any payment type including gift cards
- Built-in security
- Synchronise your sales channels through one set of software
- Advanced checkout functionality to handle discounts and promotional codes
- Reporting facilities
- Inventory management
- Suitable for occasional selling or frequent use
- Access to 24/7 support
Shopify is a business that supports smaller businesses to sell their products and services through multiple channels. They offer a software solution for point of sale use that is easy to use and can be used anywhere to maximise sales.
Shopify has created software that enables businesses to accept all payments including gift cards and to manage promotions and discounts. Their reporting functionality offers better insight into your business and allows you to track both sales and inventory. They have structured their point of sale software so that it works well for low volume users with occasional use through to frequent users.
4. Epos Now
Some of the features and benefits of Epos Now’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Free 30-day software trial
- Software only or complete EPOS system
- Easy to use
- Access the software from anywhere through the cloud to monitor your business
- Offers real-time reporting
- Compatible with iPad, Android, Mac and PC
- Works with most POS hardware
- Will migrate all your data from your existing system
- Modular design that is scalable
- 24/7 customer support
Epos Now is an EPOS software developer and EPOS system provider who can offer standalone software that will work with almost any point of sale hardware and is compatible with iPad, Android, Mac and PC. When you switch to Epos Now they will migrate your data from your existing system so that you can retain and build on that data.
Epos Now offer their software on a 30-day trial so that you can see the benefits that their system has. The software is modular so that can be built to cater for your needs. Their software is easy to use and staff can be trained in as little as 15 minutes.
Some of the features and benefits of Comtrex’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Integrated EPOS software solutions
- Specialise in delivering services to the hospitality sector
- Accept payments including chip and pin and mobile payments
- Offer a range of peripheral point of sale items including handheld ordering and kitchen screens
- Manages your stock
- Intelligent reporting to oversee staff and finances
- Provides an improved customer experience
- Support independent businesses through to national chains
- Reporting facilities to give you greater insight into your business
- 7-days a week customer support
Comtrex is a point of sale and EPOS software provider that has created solutions that target the hospitality sector. They provide additional functionality for the hospitality sector which includes handheld ordering devices, front of house systems and kitchen screens to offer an improved dining experience and aid communication between staff members.
Comtrex’s point of sale software can be used to gain greater intelligence of your business from managing your stock and assisting ordering, staff management and reporting facilities. These valuable insights can help you manage and plan for your business more effectively.
Some of the features and benefits of ShopKeep’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- EPOS software designed for iPads
- Easy to use software
- Simple set up
- Can manage your business from anywhere
- Customisable solution
- Can provide all the hardware that you need
- They guarantee the lowest integrated payment processing rate
- Real-time reporting and data facilities
- Incorporates inventory tools
- Integrates with popular apps such as BigCommerce, MailChimp and QuickBooks
ShopKeep is a point of sale and EPOS software provider that specialises in iPad-based software. They can also provide all the hardware solutions that you may need. They state that their integrated payment processing rate is the lowest in the market.
ShopKeep’s point of sale software is easy to get set up and straightforward to use. They offer customisation to enable you to have a solution that works for your business, which can include integrating with leading apps to extend the functionality of your software such as with accountancy software, CRM and email marketing software.
Some of the features and benefits of Tevalis’ point of sale and EPOS software.
- Tailor the solutions to your needs
- Offer sector-specific software solutions
- Back-office tools to manage your business
- Front of house functionality for the hospitality industry
- Can incorporate table management
- Add handheld ordering
- Can include reservation systems
- Incorporates instant messaging and upselling tools
- Track your staff
- Reporting facilities
Tevalis is an innovative supplier of point of sale equipment and EPOS software that can make running a business easier and give managers more insight and control. They specialise their services and products to the hospitality and entertainment sectors.
Tevalis’ point of sale equipment is customisable and they can build a solution to suit your business from a range of elements that can be incorporated such as front of the house, table management, handheld ordering and reservations. They offer the ability to communicate with customers and track your staff through enhanced capabilities. They also offer a reporting suite that will give you valuable insight into your business.
Some of the features and benefits of Nobly’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Easy to use point of sale software
- Free and quick to set up
- Takes minutes to train your staff
- Track your sales
- Inventory management
- End of the day reporting
- Cloud-based back office suite
- Integrates with other leading software
- A wide range of reports available
- Offer a range of point of sale hardware
Nobly is a point of sale software provider that delivers solutions that are iPad based and they can supply a wide range of hardware solutions and accessories. They deliver software and systems that are easy to use and are reliable but also affordable and backed up on the cloud.
Nobly’s point of sale software is simple to set up and you can train your staff to use it in minutes. Their systems offer valuable information and data to help you manage your business more effectively with sales tracking, inventory management, end of day reporting and variety of other reporting.
9. Intelligent Retail
Some of the features and benefits of Intelligent Retail’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- EPOS software designed for independent retailers
- Simple to operate
- Multi-channel software
- Sophisticated features to help improve the customer experience
- Centralised management
- Stock management
- Improved business insight to help with ordering and staffing
- Enable loyalty schemes and promotions to be run and tracked
- Create a valuable customer database
- Provide a solution that suits small to large businesses
Intelligent Retail is a point of sale software provider who has designed its software to cater for independent retailers. They provide software that is easy to use and can help you manage your business more effectively. Using Intelligent Retail’s software, you can link together your sales channels so that you can manage them through a single platform.
Intelligent Retail offer software that can work for single or multiple sites and allows you to have a centralised overview of all the sites. They provide a wealth of data to help manage your business which includes stock management, sales tracking and performance.
Some of the features and benefits of ICRTouch’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Tailored EPOS software
- Easy to use interface
- Fast and reliable solutions
- Offer complete EPOS solutions including software and hardware
- Software designed to ease business processes
- Can incorporate handheld ordering technology and kitchen display units
- Able to assist with stocktaking and price checking devices
- Has a global partner network
- Cater for a variety of industries
- They have installed over 100,000 systems
ICRTouch is a point of sale software and hardware provider that caters for retailers, the hospitality industry, events and educational establishments. They create bespoke systems and software which can be tailored to meet your needs.
ICRTouch’s point of sale software is easy to use and has attractive interfaces. Their systems are fast and reliable with a variety of optional add-ons that can ease the running of your business, these include handheld ordering devices, kitchen display units, stocktaking and price checking devices. They also provide a range of hardware solutions to complete the system.
11. EPOS Direct
Some of the features and benefits of EPOS Direct’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Multi-purpose EPOS software
- Available on a 30-day trial
- A range of plans available to suit all budgets
- Deliver all in one ordering system
- Help to improve sales management
- Manage your stock effectively
- Can manage staff through the software
- Reporting facilities
- Extend their range by partnering with leading providers
- Deliver systems to a variety of industries
EPOS Direct is a point of sale and EPOS software provider who supplies multi-purpose EPOS systems that are tailored towards specific industries, such as retailers, hospitality, fashion, convenience stores and supermarkets. They have created sector-specific apps that cater for each of these industries and deliver solutions designed for their needs.
EPOS Direct’s software is available on a 30-day trial so you can see if it is the solution for you. They offer the software on a range of plans that cater for different needs. Their software can help to improve your knowledge of your business through the data collected on sales, sites and staff.
Some of the features and benefits of Vend’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Multi-retail outlet EPOS software
- Easy to use software
- Compatible with iPad, Mac and PC
- Can integrate with online sales
- Will work offline
- Includes inventory management
- Synchronises to the cloud for back up and accessibility
- Can incorporate loyalty schemes
- Reporting facilities
- Offer free trials
Vend is a EPOS software provider that claims to be one of UK’s leading providers. They cater their systems for both single outlet and multi-site outlets and have geared their pricing around this with lower prices for single site outlets with more basic functionality.
Vend’s EPOS software is compatible with iPad, Mac and PC and is easy to use. Their software is cloud-based but can work offline, and it synchronises the data to the cloud and enables the software to be accessed from anywhere. The software also enables you to track your stock, can incorporate loyalty schemes and has a reporting suite.
Some of the features and benefits of Casio’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Smart EPOS software
- Easy to use and stylish interface
- Customisable software design
- Reliable and robust service
- Android-based solution
- Special features such as sales tracking, promotional management, and table management
- Cloud-based software
- Back office functionality to oversee your business
- Specialises in solutions for the hospitality industry
- Long history in the industry
Casio is a point of sale and EPOS software provider who has been working in the industry of over 40 years, and they have kept on top of the market with the delivery of smart and easy to use EPOS systems and software. They provide Android-based EPOS software only.
Casio’s EPOS software is customisable so that it can meet any business needs. They have tailored their software to the hospitality industry with the ability to track their sales, manage promotions and offers, and table management. The software is cloud-based and offers access from anywhere through the back office which includes a reporting suite.
14. pointOne EPoS
Some of the features and benefits of pointOne EPoS’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Hospitality focused EPOS software
- User-friendly software
- Compatible with multiple devices
- Enables fast transactions
- Customisable software that is modular based
- Additional hospitality features can be included
- Ability to run loyalty schemes and promotions
- Stock control facility
- Can be remotely managed
- Reporting suite
pointOne EPoS is a point of sale and EPOS software provider that caters their software towards the hospitality sector. Their software and systems are customisable as they are built modularly and are compatible with a variety of devices to create systems that are bespoke to your business needs.
pointOne EPoS’ point of sale software can incorporate some great hospitality features like kitchen management, handheld table ordering, driver management and stock control to help you manage your business more effectively. You can also manage loyalty schemes and promotions within the software in single or multiple outlets. A centralised dashboard and reporting that gives you insights into your business.
Some of the features and benefits of ITS’ point of sale and EPOS software.
- Single or multi-site point of sale software
- Easy to use interfaces
- Centralised management
- Customisable screens
- Run promotions and deals
- Manage your stock
- Alerts for age-restricted products
- Training included as part of the installation
- Real-time reporting
- Offer a range of hardware
ITS is a EPOS software provider that works in partnership with leading hardware brands to deliver complete point of sale systems or standalone software solutions. Their software is suitable for single or multi-site businesses and with their centralised management software you can track all sales and sites effectively.
ITS’ software has an easy to use interface that can be customised so that your screens can be tailored to your businesses needs. You can also incorporate your own promotions and deals to help you manage pricing easily and have alerts to prompt staff to check ID for age-restricted products.
16. 3S POS
Some of the features and benefits of 3S POS’ point of sale and EPOS software.
- EPOS software designed for the hospitality and retail sectors
- Offers business management software solutions
- Add in kitchen displays, handheld ordering and table management
- Centralised management giving an overview of your business
- Offers distribution management
- Track and monitor sales
- Manage stock control
- Able to manage loyalty and promotions
- Can integrate with Sage accounts and payroll
- Offers advanced business reporting capabilities
3S POS is a point of sale and EPOS software provider that offers business management solutions as part of their software to help you to manage your business more effectively. This includes being able to manage your distribution, track and monitor your sales, and manage stock control.
3S POS’ EPOS software is designed specifically for the hospitality and retail sectors which they offer additional functionality to. For hospitality businesses, they offer kitchen displays, handheld ordering and table management. For retailers, they offer loyalty and promotional capabilities. Their advanced reporting capabilities and being able to integrate with Sage software makes their software a powerful tool.
Some of the features and benefits of XEPOS’ point of sale and EPOS software.
- Customisable EPOS systems
- Easy and effective to use
- Suitable for single or multi-site businesses
- Provide online and offline solutions
- Can access the software through any device
- Will integrate with payment gateways
- Has a centralised back office for reporting
- Manage pricing and promotions easily
- 24/7 customer support
- Provide software to a wide range of business types
XEPOS is a point of sale and EPOS system provider whose products are customisable so that they can be tailored to your business. They cater their products to the hospitality, retail, health and beauty, and takeaway industries.
XEPOS’s EPOS software is effective for single and multiple site outlets with a centralised back office system that helps you to monitor and manage multiple sites. The software can be accessed through any device making it easier to monitor and track your business from anywhere. Through the software, you can manage your pricing strategy and promotions from one place and vary them where necessary.
Some of the features and benefits of Reposs’ point of sale and EPOS software.
- Offer complete EPOS systems or standalone EPOS software
- Easy to use software
- Compatible with touchscreen hardware
- Cost effective software solutions
- Quicker and more reliable software
- On-site configuration and training provided
- One-year software support service
- Specialise in supporting independent retailers
- Cater for businesses with high volume sales at low values
- Supply parts and a range of peripherals
Reposs is a point of sale and EPOS software provider that provides complete EPOS solutions or standalone EPOS software. Their software can be used to replace existing software on a range of compatible touchscreen point of sale systems. Reposs will conduct a free inspection of your current system and give you a demonstration of their software.
Reposs’ EPOS software is cost effective and can be a quicker and more reliable solution. They will configure your system with their software for you and will train your staff to use the new software. They will continue to support you with a minimum of one-year support service.
19. Epos Company
Some of the features and benefits of Epos Company’s point of sale and EPOS software.
- Complete EPOS systems or software-only solutions
- Offer basic software or sector-specific software
- Bespoke programming is available
- Compatible with all Windows-based systems
- Offer software designed for kitchen displays and delivery businesses
- Easy to use interface
- They will find the best solution for you
- Offer touchscreen and PC based software
- Stock control and reporting facility
- Provide software to a wide range of businesses including retailers and hospitality businesses
Epos Company is a point of sale and EPOS software provider who supply full EPOS systems or standalone software or hardware. They support a wide range of businesses including retailers and hospitality businesses with basic and customised solutions.
Epos Company’s software is available with bespoke programming and sector-specific products such as kitchen displays and delivery assistance. Their software is compatible with all Windows-based systems that are touchscreen or PC and they will work with you to find the best solution for your business needs. Their software also includes stock control and reporting facilities to help you to oversee your business.
20. Emperium POS
Some of the features and benefits of Emperium POS’ point of sale and EPOS software.
- Leading provider of EPOS systems
- Single and multi-store solutions
- Customised integrations
- Gives you the tools to oversee and manage your business
- Works offline
- Track sales, inventory and purchasing
- Add stock alerts to reduce waste and administration
- Manage loyalty schemes and discounts
- Reporting facility that can be accessed through the cloud
- Provide solutions to the retail and hospitality sectors and more
Emperium POS is a leading provider of customisable EPOS systems and software that is suitable for single and multiple site businesses. Their software allows you to get greater insight into your business by being able to track your sales, manage your inventory and assist your purchasing decisions.
Emperium POS’ software has features that can help you manage your business more effectively such as their stock alerts that let you know when you are running low on produce so that you can reduce waste and administration. It also offers reporting facilities, loyalty scheme and discount management.
21. Open Retail Solutions
Some of the features and benefits of Open Retail Solutions’ point of sale and EPOS software.
- Multichannel EPOS software
- Suitable for single or multiple site outlets
- Ability to manage promotions
- Offer a range of add-ons such as digital signage, staff management and web interface
- Manages stock control
- Assists with purchasing decisions
- Offer a back-office facility to give you an overview of your business
- Financial reporting facilities
- A wide range of hardware solutions
- Provide support to a range of retailers
Open Retail Solutions is a point of sale and EPOS software provider that supports retail businesses across multiple sales channels and manages their sales transactions in a single software solution. They can provide a wide range of EPOS hardware solutions and software add-ons such as digital signage, staff management, web interfaces, table ordering, kitchen displays and weighing scales.
Open Retail Solutions’ EPOS software can give you greater insight and control over your business with their back-office facility that includes a reporting function. This can help you to review your sales transactions and stock to make more informed decisions about products, purchasing and promotions.
Some of the features and benefits of AirPOS’ point of sale and EPOS software.
- Offers complete EPOS systems
- Cater for small businesses
- Enables you to track transactions and sales
- Manage inventory
- Run reports
- Access remotely and manage multiple locations
- Easy to use
- Assists in managing customer credit accounts
- Offers a free trial
- Integrates with other leading software and hardware
AirPOS provides complete EPOS and point of sale software for retailers and is designed for small businesses. Their software allows you to integrate with leading software including iZettle, Sumup, Tide, Worldpay and Xero, as well as integrating with existing hardware.
AirPOS’ software enables you to track and manage your inventory, manage sales and run reports which can allow you to better manage your business. The software allows you to oversee your business remotely, see sales and inventory from any location and multiple locations. The software is easy to use and they offer a free trial to allow you to experience it.
23. Napkin EPOS
Some of the features and benefits of Napkin EPOS’ point of sale and EPOS software.
- Provides software for the hospitality industry
- Integrates with the SumUp Air card reader
- Compatible with a range of hardware
- Customisable screens
- Allows you to take online orders for table service, collection and delivery
- Table management
- Inventory management
- Create promotions
- Reporting facility
- Integrates with LiquidAccounts.com, HMRC compliant accounting software
Napkin EPOS specialises in EPOS software for bars, restaurants and cafes and also offers a customer online ordering portal. They provide customers with a NapkinBox to get started with online and email service support. You need to provide the hardware but it is compatible with a wide range of hardware and integrates with SumUp Air card reader to take online, chip and pin and contactless payments.
Napkin EPOS offers an online software demo and gives customers the first month free with no lengthy contract but a rolling monthly contract. Their software allows you to customise your screen to meet your needs, and can manage your tables, inventory and promotions.
Please note we have affiliate agreements with Lightspeed, iZettle, Square and Shopify. This means they pay us a commission if you book a demo after using our website. This comes at no cost to you, but we thought you should know. We may also be paid a fee if you get a quote using the form at the top of this page.
What is EPOS software?
EPOS stands for Electronic Point Of Sales. An EPOS system is made for retailers and is crucial for their operations.
The software helps one make transactions, manage inventory, and assist with checkout; it is a till interface. EPOS systems have excellent security, update quickly, and offer flexible integrations.
Essentially, an EPOS system functions as a till, but it is more convenient, modern, and efficient. Any retail business can benefit from this software.
How does an EPOS system work?
It works like a normal till system. You will need to have EPOS hardware and add your EPOS system to it. EPOS systems work by being connected to a computer.
The system reads the barcode of a product and then calculates the price. It can also update customer data and stock levels, record data, and give you business reports.
All information on your point of sale system is stored in the cloud and can be accessed at all times.
Depending on your specific system, you can add various EPOS hardware, like printers, touch screens, barcode scanners, cash drawers, and card readers.
And the system can be run using additional portable hardware like phones, small hardware, and laptops.
How do businesses use EPOS?
Other than using an EPOS system as a cash register, businesses use it for several tasks, such as inventory management so that the company can store, order, and sell.
It also comes with a barcode scanner used to scan items that people are purchasing and a receipt printer. Businesses can use it to access relevant information to improve how they operate.
This information includes stock, customer information, staff performance, and sales. And companies can then use all of this information to analyse and improve their business performance. EPOS systems are also used for generating reports, taking payments, and monitoring stock.
Is EPOS software expensive?
The cost for a retail EPOS system will depend on the various functions you need, but they are generally very affordable since all you need is the system.
The costs are also less for small businesses. Some EPOS companies are inexpensive, some have a higher price range, and some are even free. It all depends on what you prefer and what quality you’re looking for.
The price of the POS software depends on your business’s location or locations, the size of your business, its products, and the industry you work in.
Software companies generally charge a yearly or monthly subscription fee; an entry-level system can cost you about £1,000 per year, and an advanced system could be around £3,000+ per year.
Is there free EPOS software?
Yes, there are free EPOS solutions. This is an excellent choice for smaller businesses with limited products on offer.
But again, you should consider various points like the ease of use, core hardware requirements, features, etc. So if you are on a budget, you can still benefit from some decent software – just ensure that you do your research first!
And remember, your EPOS system plays a crucial role in your business, so make sure that it is insured and well-looked after!
What is the difference between POS and EPOS?
POS stands for Point of Sale, and it is a cash drawer, and we can find them in most stores. In comparison, an EPOS system is an electronic version and operates online.
Other than efficiency, the two systems have loads of differences. For example, there is a big difference in security. The EPOS has a heightened and improved security system compared to the POS system.
EPOS systems have minimal risk of being hacked or compromised, and everything is based in the cloud, so the risk of losing data due to servers failing is very low. In comparison, a POS system is more vulnerable and easier to hack into.
Payment options are another difference. An EPOS system is much more flexible when it comes to it. POS systems only accept payments by cash or debit or credit cards.
This may prevent customers from making purchases – certainly not what small business owners want. An electronic point of sale system can accept these three methods and also contactless and online payments.
An EPOS system is much more flexible as it is compatible with various devices when it comes to hardware. In contrast, a POS system is only compatible with the initial hardware it has been supplied with, like cash registers or card readers.
Using an EPOS system makes managing inventory much easier as you can easily track and access it, whereas more errors can occur in a POS system, only causing you problems.
The analytic tools in an EPOS system are much better and can give you insight into all of your business functions. You get a lot more out of an EPOS system.